Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Goober the Donkey

Our pastor preached a really good sermon this Sunday on Hebrews 13. One of the illustrations he used was that of a donkey named Goober. Goober is a real live donkey the church used in their Christmas performance. True to his kind, Goober was very stubborn and to make a long story short, they ended up having to use a back hoe to get Goober into the truck to take him to the church. Pastor David was using the story of Goober to illustrate the point that sometimes we move of our own accord when God tells us and sometimes He has to bring out the back hoe :-).
I feel like Goober tonight, bottom in the back hoe, feet flailing in the air. Funny image I know, and honestly, as worn out and utterly beat up as I feel after this week, I do see the humor in it, because I know that God loves me, even when I end up with my butt in a tractor. God has been working on both Jason and me on many levels. One of the resulting outcomes has been that I have decided to turn down the job as Wilton Instructor for Michael's. Without going into all of it, it's not where I need to be right now.
Please pray for us, as God continues to work. Pray that we would stay open to His will, that we would work together as a team, that God would strengthen our marriage and that in everything we do, we would bring honor to Him. It is my prayer for 2009 that everyone who comes in contact with us will see Christ in us and long to have what we have, to experience the love and peace that a true walk with God brings.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I think I may also be related to Goober at times. I have discovered recently that when I finally stop being so stubborn and just go where God is leading me my entire life- even the areas that didn't seem at all related to the issue at hand-just falls into place and starts to run smoothly again.

Unfortunately it sometimes takes a lot of time, prayer, tears, and wrestling before I get the message.

All that to say, "I hear ya". Hang in there. And if you feel the back hoe picking you up, enjoy the ride!

Nana said...

There's a little (or a lot) of Goober in all of us!
A job will be there when the time is right. Katie is right, it will all fall into place and run smoothly - it's the waiting that's hard!
Love,
Judy