Tuesday, May 6, 2008

WARNING: Not a cheery post

Well it seems like the magic bubble has burst and I'm frustrated. A quick recap: five and a half months ago, Jason got a job offer that we accepted on the spot. Only downside? A 600 mile move away from home. In a whirlwind, we listed, sold and packed up the house. We moved to CA, had major issues with our moving company and ended up camping out for a month without our stuff. Then we started settling in. We have been blessed with a wonderful church and a friendly neighbor family, an active Moms Club and a great local library. And the weather! No complaints there. But the thing is, now that I've been here for a little over 3 mths, the excitement is wearing off and I'm tired.
I fell asleep on the couch this afternoon. I put the kids down for their naps, then sat down on the couch and woke up 45mns later with a bad pain in my leg because of the angle I was laying at. An afternoon nap. No big deal, right? The thing is, I don't nap! I'm not a "napper". I don't like to nap. Even when I had little babies, I seldom napped because I didn't like the groggy feeling afterwards. But today, I did. On accident.
Bible study is out until July 10th and I already miss the weekly interaction. Mom's Club is fun, but I've discovered that most of the moms already have their friendships established and it's hard to work myself into that. My neighbor I seldom see unless she needs something. And I've also discovered that while this has been great for our marriage, bringing us closer together, when the only other adult around is your spouse and he/she is having a bad day...Not a pretty picture.
I miss home. Not the weather :-), and not really Oregon at all amazingly, but you guys. All of you. I miss having somewhere to go where I feel totally comfortable being myself, where I don't have to work to build relationships and friendships, because they are already built.
I was getting really frustrated this afternoon because I've been feeling so anxious and somewhat depressed. Then I realized that most people in my shoes would be struggling too. So I know that what I'm going through is normal, but it isn't too much fun. Please pray for us as the newness wears off and the daily grind sets in. Please pray that God will direct both Jason and me where He wants us to go and especially that we will have the patience to wait for Him to show us.
Thanks!

2 comments:

Nana said...

Relocating is hard. Starting over is hard. Making new friends is hard. But nothing good is ever easy. Hang in there, Becca, it will get better, and it is hard to wait for it to get better. All of us are still here, and you can call or email whenever you need.
I do remember when my family moved from California to Oregon in early summer. By Christmas time nearly all of the out of state relatives had visited, we had the beginnings of friendships with people at church and neighbors, and those things just grew and grew. At first, it seemed like the only friendly people were on the radio, but time helped those friendly folks around us make themselves known.
You'll find those friends that make you feel like you are home. They are there right now, waiting for you to find them.
Love,
Nana

Randy said...

I know that for your Mom and I, the two years in Texas were very positive years for us as a couple since we didn't have any family or friends within 1,000 miles. (Not to mention that's where you were born.) Telling you that probably doesn't make it easier for you, but maybe it could give you some hope for the long term.