Monday, May 19, 2008

YAY!!!!


Gabby gave me an excuse to make a cake today. She stayed dry yesterday from the time she woke up until the time she went to bed, through church and nap! So today we had a "potty party" :-). I thought it would be a great excuse to get one of my practice cakes in, but I needed some piping gel to do it, so off to Michaels we went. My instructor was there and I told her, nervously, that I had applied to be an instructor. She had told me on Thursday that she felt I could easily be good enough within a year, so for me to just go and apply made me feel somewhat presumptuous. Her reaction surprised me though. She said: "Good! We're going to need another instructor. Make sure you take pictures of your cakes and bring them to me. I'll show my boss." YAY!!! I'm so excited (and nervous!).
I worked on this cake most of the afternoon. I find that the designs I don't care for become the most challenging cakes to do because they don't excite me. If I were choosing the decorating style, piping and filling with stars would not be my first (or second or third) choice, but it's what the first half of course 1 is all about, so I figured I should show that I know what I'm doing, or at least can fake it ;-). Most of the decorating was done with the kids at my elbow asking every two minutes if I was done yet. GRRRR! They didn't care what it looked like. They just wanted to eat it. And they finally did :-). The hard part though, was that within 2 minutes of completing it, I had to cut it. Now hold on! I put a lot of time into that :-)! Oh, dear. I'm certifiable. I am becoming attached to blobs of fat and sugar!
Here's my latest "blob":

5 comments:

Nana said...

Way to go, Gabby! You are going to help your mommy practice, no matter what it takes!
What a beautiful cake, Becca. I'm glad your instructor was so encouraging - and the cake shows your attention to detail.
Whoever said "Art is long, Life is short" never thought about cake decorating as art!
Love,
Judy

Jenn said...

Wow! Your cakes are really incredible, Becca!

And way to go, Gabs!!

Jenn

Betty Armstrong said...

You are really getting the hang of this cake decorating. It's beautiful. Keep up the good work (both of you).
Love,
Mom

Beth said...

Beautiful! It looks good enough to eat!!!

The Herring Family said...

Thanks everyone :-). I really enjoy it. And Beth, the cake actual is really good this time. I usually just use a mix, so you know, it's a cake. But this time, Gabby picked the flavor (strawberry of course!) and I added a banana cream pudding mix to it. The filling is Strawberry Jam, but I put a very light coat of buttercream on each layer so that the jam didn't sink in to the cake and it's actually really good! I had a piece this morning where I cut off the top buttercream and just ate the cake. YUM!