Friday, August 1, 2008

My thoughts on Bunco

I played Bunco last night with a group of church ladies for the first time in my life. I have to say, Bunco is a dumb game. You sit around and roll a bunch of dice over and over and over and over and over and then, should luck be on your side, you get the numbers you are hoping for and you jump out of your seat screaming and yelling because, well, you got a lot of points. Do these points ultimately get you anywhere? Not necessarily because the biggest loser gets a prize as nice as the biggest winner and those in between get nothing. What kind of game is this anyway?!? And yet, I signed up to do it once a month for a year. Why, you ask? Because as I sat there marveling at the absolute absurdity of the game, I noticed myself relaxing and the women around me laughing and I felt more at home than I have in a very long time. You see, I only knew a few of these women and yet. I don't know. Something drew us together. And there are few things better than a room full of women laughing and having a good time. One of the ladies at the end of the night, sitting at the "rowdy" table, made the comment: "If we're like this now, imagine what it would be like if we were drinking!". I looked over at them and thought: "It honestly wouldn't be much different." :)
Oh, and because I always have to share the pictures of my cakes, here's the one I made for last night:

2 comments:

Nana said...

What a beautiful cake! Love those flamingos.
I have the exact feelings as you re: Bunco, but every time I play it I enjoy the connection of having fun with others. It's a great way to break the ice and begin to get to know people, and I'm glad you have found a nice group of people to have fun with. Any game that involves laughter and good food (always present at Bunco parties) cannot possibly be bad. You may meet some new best friends in this group!
Love,
Judy

Randy said...

Your mother probably feels the same way about me getting all worked up about sports!