Friday, September 26, 2008

CONVICTED!

James was driving me nuts this morning. Right off the bat, he starts worrying about his friend Elise who's coming over this afternoon. "What if she gets on my bed and breaks my sword?" "What if she puts the hamster food (with nuts) in my room?" "What if she finds my batman car and breaks it?". Out of exasperation, I finally looked at him and said: "James! She isn't even coming until after lunch! Don't waste your morning worrying about what might or might not happen!" Then I got convicted. You see, I've been worrying a lot lately. This trouble with the economy has me worried. Not because of the "doom and gloom" predictions, but because of  the uncertainty of it all. No one seems to know where our country will be in a year, so my mind is filling in all the what ifs. But, like I told James this morning, why waste today worrying about what might or might not happen tomorrow? Planning is one thing. We put up Jp's favorite toys and the hamster food to prevent unnecessary conflicts and we plan for what might happen by stocking up on bottled water, rice and beans and make wise moves with our money. But worrying is a waste of today. Only God knows what tomorrow holds and He has it all under control anyway. The only thing that makes me nervous about that is that God is known to refine us with fire and I don't like to get hot!

4 comments:

Bethany said...

Here's my theory: if you're bunkering down with beans and rice, then it's time you come up to Oregon to see your BF (uh, that's me) and we'll go drink margaritas (cuz there will never be a shortage of alcohol)! Also, if you're really worried about the food issue that could happen, but won't (I know all....) then stock up on Twinkies! Those suckers last forever! =) Hope that made your day!

The Herring Family said...

Beth, you crack me up! Thanks for the laugh.

The Herring Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nana said...

One of my favorite quotes from Mark Twain is "I have spent most of my life worrying about things that have never happened."
Let go of the worries - you and Jason are in fine shape, and it's always a good idea to have a pantry of staples (spoken by a farm girl raised by parents who lived through the Great Depression).
You guys were smart to get out of the mortgage you couldn't afford and work on eliminating debt. You have many blessings to count!
Love,
Judy