Monday, September 15, 2008

Monday morning musings

The kids and I got to see Katie last night! YAY! We had a great time. Jason brought the kids to my work at the end of my shift and the kids and I drove up to Sacramento, where Katie is staying a couple nights for work training. Katie had bought some sandwiches and we had a little picnic in the park. The kids were a little disappointed because there was no play structure at this park :(. Once James found the firefighter memorial though, he thought it was pretty cool. We also walked through the Vietnam memorial they had in Capital park. Needless to say, James was FULL of questions, but Katie was there to answer most of them, so I didn't have to strain my brain too much :-). Unfortunately, I have no pictures. I always forget my camera wherever I go, so this time I put it in my purse...and forgot my purse when Jason and I swapped cars. Katie took a couple before her battery died, so when she emails them to me, I'll post them.
I've been working for a month now and the jury is still out as to how great of a situation this is :-). Ironically, I find working to be easier for me than it was to stay home 24 7. Jason on the other hand seems to be getting pretty tired. He told me yesterday that he didn't know how I did this (stay home) every day and I said: "Why do you think I'm so happy to be working!" hehe. In all honestly though, as is the case with pretty much everything, there are good days and bad. My job is not nearly as rosy as it first seemed, but all in all, it's not bad. I just have to remind myself that it's just a job, a means to an end, not a career because otherwise the chaos and disorganization, not to mention the illegal practices (having us work off the clock for one) would drive me crazy. The lead position I was offered has been put on hold. My boss' boss said they have to interview everyone interested in the position, so there are now about 10 applicants for the position and it sounds like it's Adrienne's choice, not Freda, who was the one who originally told me I would be one of the two leads. It's frustrating, not because I'm dying to be lead, but because I feel gipped. They told me I had the position and now I don't. GRRR! So again, I try to remind myself that in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. We are blessed regardless.
I haven't been doing nearly as many cakes, obviously, but I do have my first paid order this week. The woman to whom I gave the 4th of July cake has ordered an 8" round for a birthday and she's paying me $40. I'm a little nervous, but it should be a pretty easy cake to do. Chocolate with Mocha filling and covered with chocolate ganache. YUM!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I must say that the visit was great! The kids were so much fun and their questions and interest in the monuments brought back memories of when the kids were younger. Thanks!!