Monday, September 29, 2008

Why do I find this funny?

Let me say first of all that what I have to say in this blog may make some of you angry, as it may appear that I am heartless. I am not. I just find parts of our economic crisis amusing.
I just logged on to the Drudge Report, only to find out that the dow dropped 770 points today and I laughed. Why, you may ask (as I asked myself), in light of such a drastic drop, the largest single day drop ever according to Drudge, would I laugh? I guess it's because I'm starting to realize in the light of all of this how much we as Americans have taken for granted. We have had security and peace for such a long time. September 11th shook us up and then we went back to the lull of every day life. I don't think most of us really honestly realized that all of this could be gone in the blink of an eye.
Our church had a guest speaker this weekend, Dr David Hocking. He was a very dynamic speaker and I know he said some of what he said just for shock value, but one of the things he said has stuck with me. He said something like: "If you have come here today to hear about how important you are and how valuable you are to God's work, you have come to the wrong place. Sorry to break it to you, but there are more important things that YOU in the grand scheme of things! Your self-esteem is not what I'm worried about today." WHAT? How could he say such a thing? And yet, in light of all that is happening, in light of the past, the present and predictions of the future, my peace and comfort do not rank in the top 10 most important things. Now don't get me wrong. Jesus found our eternal peace important enough to die for, but I'm talking about day to day, starbucks, tv, cell phone and yes, even roof over my head peace. There are more important things in life and I hope and pray that all of this turmoil opens our eyes to the really important things and especially the most important One.

1 comment:

Randy said...

How does the old hymn go? "From the best bliss that earth imparts, We turn unfilled to Thee again."