Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I got the job!!!

A couple weeks ago, I posted about my decision to withdraw my name from the pool applying for the lead position. After much thought and prayer, I decided to go ahead with the interview and be brutally honest. The interview was with the regional manager and I had some things I wanted to talk to her about anyway. I ended up having my interview with her over the phone. She was on her bluetooth. I had a hard time hearing her and the interview was sprung on me as I walked into the office and was just handed the phone. YIKES! I don't like talking on the phone as is, but that was definitely out of my comfort zone!
She asked me the typical questions (What experience do you have? How would you handle an irate customer? etc). Then she said: "I'll be honest with you. You are a very strong contender for the position, but why do you think you would be better than everyone else who applied?" To which I answered: "I'm not sure that I am. Here are my concerns." I then told her that I am a mom first and foremost, that I'm only available Friday through Monday and that this isn't negotiable. I also told her that I had been told on two separate occasions by other leads that there is an expectation for leads to work off the clock to get everything done and that I was not willing to do that. I told her that I work for the benefit of my family and I'm not willing to give WDS any free time. She flew through the roof! She was really mad that people were working off the clock and said they could lose their jobs over that because it showed poor time management.
Today, my boss called and offered me the job and I accepted. They know my terms and if I am asked to work extra days or off the clock, I have already made it very clear that I don't do that. I did tell them that for training purposes, I could find childcare for a couple extra days as a one time thing, so my boss is training me Thursday, Friday and Saturday and then the show is mine Sunday and Monday. YIKES!!!! Not sure I'm ready to manage a bunch of adults who act like cranky toddlers much of the time. Oh, well. It's just a job, right?!?!?!

4 comments:

Nana said...

Congratulations! It sounds like your boss respects honesty and your boundaries. Managing adults who act like cranky toddlers - hmmm - I could resemble that remark! You've had plenty of practice with cranky toddlers, though, so this job could be a snap!
Best of luck to you, Becca.
Love,
Judy

Randy said...

I was thinking the same thing Judy said. You've already got experience with the cranky toddlers, so you'll do great!

The Herring Family said...

Thanks, but unfortunately, it's a lot harder to put a kicking and sceaming 39 year old in time out than it is to put a two year old :-).

Katie said...

Way to go Becca! I'm so proud of you striving for something you want while putting your limits out there. Not an easy thing to do but definitely essential for progress, both on a personal level and a professional one.