Sunday, November 30, 2008

What a ride!

Two hours and 17 minutes ago, I joined the world of the unemployed. YES!!!! It's not as ominous for me as it is for many because Jason makes a good income and I was told I could (PLEASE) have my job back ANYTIME I wanted (can you hear the desperation/begging in the tone? :-).). What a couple weeks it has been! I found out Friday that Adrienne, Freda's boss, the one who told me that I would have to resign if I wanted to come up to Oregon, is no longer employed by WDS. Apparently, she made a very rapid decision, with some encouragement from her superiors, to retire. I won't go into the details of the last few days, but to sum it up, I made the right decision. WDS is a mess and I don't need that stress right now. I'm really sad to leave most of my co-workers though. I got to work with some really neat people the last few months.
I am excitedly looking forward to our trip in a week and a half. I can't wait!
Although unemployed, I am still looking at a fairly busy week. I am making two princess cakes for one year old twin girls' first birthday party on Saturday. That will take awhile. I also need to budget, clean and prepare for our trip, not to mention some Christmas shopping. I'm really looking forward to having the time to breathe, think, do the laundry and hug my kids. I will also be following up with a woman at Wilton about a cake decorating instructor position at the Michaels in Turlock. They have an opening there and the head lady (I don't know her official title) was impressed by the pictures of my cakes. She sent me the information about what the position entails and said we would talk after the holiday (Thanksgiving), so I will call her tomorrow. The nice thing about this position is that it's VERY part-time, I get to chose my hours (within reason), and it's doing something that I love. The down side is that it's 20 miles from my house and it doesn't pay too terribly well, although if you add in the benefits of 40% off all cake decorating supplies and 25% off anything at Michaels, it just might turn out to be a high-paying job :-).

2 comments:

Nana said...

Welcome to the ranks of How Did I Ever Find Time To Work! I'm so glad you will have time to prepare for the trip and regroup - and maybe try out something you love to do, like teaching others how to make such beautiful cakes.
We can hardly wait to see you. Have Gabby and JP be on the look out for a surprise package this week.
Love,
Nana

Bethany said...

Welcome to the world of the unemployed (although I'm not technically without a job since I have Tupperware....)
Glad you're done with the stress!