Saturday, April 12, 2008

Cake decorating!


Thursday evening, I had my second cake decorating class. I was a little worried before I left because I was sooooo tired that night. It had been a very long week and I could just picture myself in class spacing out and getting nothing done. You know, when you are so tired you just want to cry? That's where I was. But Jason and the kids took off on a walk to the park and I headed to my class. It turned out to be the most rejuvenating thing I could have done that night. I was the only student there at first, then two more showed up. The instructor is wonderful. I usually get really tense around people I don't know, but I am as relaxed as I am around my sisters when I'm with Michelle. It's kind of weird. I wouldn't say I feel like I've known her forever because I don't know much about her, but I feel as comfortable around her as I would around someone I've known forever.


The next day, I decided to let the kids play with the leftover icing and they had a blast! Even Gabby sat there for an hour! I also realized that teaching kids doesn't have to be boring. I used the icing to teach them about colors (ie red and blue make purple. Blue and yellow make green, etc.) and we also worked on letters a bit and had a great time. I did discover, however, that teaching a two year old to squeeze from the top down is pretty close to impossible, resulting in a large, sticky mess :-). Oh, the other thing that surprised me is that the kids didn't eat much of it. They knew they were going to have cake when Erin (the neighbor kid) came over after lunch, so amazingly they left the frosting alone.

Here's Jp's work of art:


And here's Gabby's:


Stay tuned for next week's project: a clown cake! I can't wait!

1 comment:

Nana said...

That class sounds like lots of fun - and how delicious to share your projects!
Gabby and James, you need to know that even the 5th graders Nana used to teach could never squeeze the frosting from the top down! They always made big gooey messes, too, when we made gingerbread houses at Christmas, but the 5th graders just ate them! Your projects look really nice - I love the colors you used.
Love,
Nana