Sunday, April 27, 2008

My boy is growing up *sniff*

For those of you who have been there, done that, do you remember how your 4 year old can drive you absolutely bonkers one moment and then the next, you want to throw your arms around him and beg him to stay little? Jp is growing up sooo fast! This morning, Jp and Gabby woke up around 6:45 or so, the norm. They got up, closed the door to our bedroom (which we leave open so we can here them if they need us in the middle of the night), and Jp proceeded to get breakfast for both of them. When Jason got up a little later, they were both sitting at the dining room table. Jp had gotten two dishes out of the tupperware cupboard (at their level) and poured fruity cherrios for both of them. So they sat there "talking" while they ate their breakfast.
Two nights ago after dinner, Jp asks to be excused and clears his plate, which is one of his chores. He then proceeds to clear the entire table and asks that clearing the table be put on his chore chart as one of his regular chores!
Speaking of chores, Gabby discovered something last night. Every night, the kids are required to pick up their rooms before bed if they want their quarter for that day's chores. Gabby realized that if she gave brother a dime and a penny, he would clean her room for her and she would still get her quarter. I have a feeling Jp is going to be a hard worker and Gabby is going to be, well, a princess :-).
Gabby has a book that has become a favorite lately. It's called "Elmo's Hokey-Pokey". We've put some movements to it and the kids LOVE it! Well, yesterday I was busy cleaning the kitchen and couldn't do it with them when they wanted to, so they decided to do it by themselves. One of the pages reads: "Swing your partner in. Swing your partner out. Swing your partner in. Do-si-do about." When we hit that page, I usually pick the kids up one at a time and swing them around. Since I wasn't available, Jp proceeded to pick Gabby up, literally, and swing around the room with her. He is actually quite strong and while he did stumble a couple times, they were both having the time of their lives. My big *sniff* boy *sniff, sniff*!
Tomorrow, the kids and I are going to visit a preschool. It comes highly recommended by the moms in our Moms Club and I'm pretty sure that's where Jp is going to go next year. We're going to visit it tomorrow morning and make sure that it's what we are looking for. Now, I can wrap my mind around preschool. Jp was in preschool in Oregon and I was ok with that. But I found out on Friday that Salida kindergarten, which Jp will most likely attend fall '09, is going to ALL DAY kindergarten, 8:30 to 2, 5 days a week. Waaaa! My baby!!!! THAT I am not ready for. What are they thinking?!? I know. I know. Most kids are in daycare all day anyway, but all day? Oh, dear. What am I going to do? :(  I know we'll survive, but you may want to take out some stock in Kleenex, because I will be buying them out!
Oh, one last "big boy" story before I hit the sack. On our way to church this morning, Jp informs us that when he gets older, he's going to move back to Oregon. We asked him why he wants to go back. He said: "Not now, Mommy. When I get bigger!" "Ok. Well, who are you going to live with?" "Me and Reagan and our kids are going to live there." "Well, Jp" I asked, "what if Reagan doesn't want to move to Oregon?" Jp's response: "Hmm. I'll ask her when I get to church today."

4 comments:

Nana said...

Oh, my! He *is* growing up too fast! Tell that boy to slow down and stay a sweet kid for a while longer.
Gabby has quite the brilliant mind for figuring out how to delegate chores, and JP is learning the value of a little hard work. I'm amazed at the dynamic - and so young! Tell them both to slow down!
Love,
Nana

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Will JP clean my room if I pay him a dime and a penny? That sounds like a bargain!

Joellen Armstrong said...

That is all just way too cute!!!! JP is such a doll... though I'm sure I should never say that to his face :-) Miss you guys so much... maybe sometime this year we can come see you... big maybe, but not entirely impossible, right?

The Herring Family said...

Hey, Jo! I don't think Jp would mind if you called him a doll. He hasn't entered his macho phase yet :-). We would love to have you, but we understand only too well how hard (and expensive) it is to travel 600 miles from home. If nothing else, we should see you guys when we come up in July. I can't wait to meet your little man!